Open Position: Project Manager
ABOUT JT THORPE:
J.T. Thorpe & Son, Inc. (JT THORPE) was founded in 1906, and is one of the largest refractory, industrial fireproofing and painting construction company in North America. We differentiate ourselves from the competition with safety, professionalism, engineering, high quality and customer service.
At JT THORPE, we build industrial plants (facilities) that fuel our nation with power, gas, steel, cement, biofuels, and a wide variety of crucial products. We strive to design and deliver the best and most reliable facilities in the world and we’re responsible for creating the linings to withstand the products that flows through these facilities.
At JT THORPE, we put our customers first. Our project management team is the key to achieving success. The project management team owns and leads the project every step of the way; guiding the project from concept, to construction, to customer hand-off. An excited and grateful customer for a project expertly delivered from beginning to end is a most satisfying undertaking.
As the leader of the project management team, you will bridge the customer’s wants with a well planned and executed solution. You achieve this by utilizing JT THORPE’s cutting edge equipment, extensive manpower workforce, and by leading your crew through safe production; creating a protective lining for your customer that will last for years.
Successful project managers have a bias for action, can break down complex problems into steps that drive results, and will lead their team to execute projects flawlessly. As a project manager, you can lead JT THORPE’s next major project.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Manager, the Project Manager works on all sizes of industrial construction projects located in Illinois and Indiana, with a predominant focus on Northwest Indiana. The Project Manager is the primary company representative responsible for the overall direction, completion, and financial outcome of a construction project. Directs and supervises activities related to onsite construction, contract administration, change orders, submittals, procurement, project financial projections, and schedule requirements to ensure projects are completed in a quality, profitable, safe, and timely manner.
- Project Estimating
- Project Procurement of equipment, and materials
- On Site Management of Project
- Developing Work Procedures and Overseeing Quality Control Programs
- Overseeing Job Safety Programs
- Overseeing Superintendents and Workforce
- Project Cost Control and Scheduling
- Project Reporting
- Sales and Business Development
- Three or more years of Industrial Construction Project Management experience.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and in budget; Manages project team activities.
- Ability to self-structure (independence is key to this job, and therefore organization, strong time management and multi-tasking is required)
- Hard working, conscientious, self-starters who are looking to build a long –term career with our company.
- Customer Service – Manage difficult customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Applicant must be willing to relocate to Chicago IL
- Applicants must have a strong work ethic allowing for long hours at industrial construction sites (This is not an office job!)
- Strong sense of integrity, assertiveness, and urgency
- High abstract reasoning and Idea orientation skills
- High self-confidence. Customers need to trust what you are saying
- Great interpersonal skills
- Degree in engineering or management strongly preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of Refractory, Industrial Coatings and Industrial Fireproofing preferred but not required.
- Full Size Pickup Truck
- iPhone, laptop, wireless card; additional electronics and tools as needed
- Paid housing and expenses when traveling
- Ability to control your project from start to finish with full visibility on all project aspects
- Potential to bid, win, and negotiate projects
- 401K plan
- Bonus opportunity eligibility
- Full medical / dental / vision package to fit your needs
- 16 paid time off (PTO) days, plus compensatory time off after projects
We’re bringing JT THORPE to major energy projects in the Midwest. We need your dedication and leadership to make it happen.
Job Type: Full-time