DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
JT THOPRE, established in 1906, is a leading Refractory, Industrial Fireproofing, Painting and Insulating contractor in North America, with over 1,200 employees and 12 offices strategically located throughout North America.
Our Business Development team are the key to getting a project in the hands of our project team! As the Director, it is your responsibility to connect the project team with both customers and projects. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of our business processes and familiarize yourself with the technical details of our industry. You will be the front line for building new relationships and finding out about new projects. You will need to stay abreast of current industry news, customers, and competitors.
As the Director of Business Development, you will bridge the customer’s wants with a well planned and executed estimate and proposal. You will also have the opportunity to work with one of the largest Refractory, Fireproofing, Insulation and Painting Contractors in the US, that is growing in size each year. JT THORPE is an industry leader that produces a Professional, Safe, High Quality and Cost Competitive Project every time.
At JT THORPE, we put our customers first! Our customers consist of Owners, large EPC firms, and GC’s in these industries. Alongside Senior Management, you will be responsible for organizing and executing a focused sales plan to best reach these customers. An excited and grateful customer for a project expertly delivered from beginning to end is a most satisfying undertaking.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
Strategic sales and business development – Focus on specific customers in each of the geographic locations and maintain a network of EPCs, owners, and vendors.
- Travel to meet, build, and maintain customer relationships.
- Travel to conferences specific to our market and network with and entertain potential customers.
- Create presentations via Power Point or equivalent. Deliver presentations and clearly communicate with a spectrum of audiences; from internal stakeholders to project management team members; to various customer contacts.
- Organize, update, and maintain a focused sales plan and customer contact list. Create and execute your own schedule to optimize your time and maintain persistent contact with specific customers and keep track of potential project bid milestones.
- Provide weekly and monthly updates to the Vice President of Eastern Operations.
- Setup project management for success by providing accurate and reliable information regarding projects and customers.
- Drive the growth and increase market share for JT THORPE East.
Project Proposal Development – Work with Estimating Manager and team to bid Large Projects and provide reviews for smaller Maintenance work as needed:
- Travel as needed to Job Bid Walks, Bid Review Meetings and Business Development meetings throughout the Eastern USA.
- Work with management to secure and develop major maintenance accounts and projects for the Eastern Region.
- Drive the estimating and proposal writing to ensure JT THORPE produces the most cost effective and professional proposal every time.
- Clearly communicate plans and results, as appropriate, to a spectrum of audiences; from internal stakeholders to project management team members; to various customer contacts.
- Work diligently to learn JT THORPE’s mission and strategies, as well as industry standards, applications, materials and equipment.
- 5+ years’ experience in sales or marketing in Industrial Construction/Energy market.
- Experience with estimating/proposal writing in the industrial marketplace.
- Experience with refractory, fireproofing, insulation or painting preferred but not required.
- A high bar across the board – from your own contributions, to the people you work with, to the estimates/sales leads you work on.
- Ability to connect with new people and build relationships
- Strong self-motivation and self-organization. The ability to efficiently manage your time is essential to achieving the expectations of growth and development.
- Goal orientation. You will be expected to deliver results.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action – constantly pushing to be the best.
- Ability to analyze and track projects from origination to award.
- You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on; you persevere when others fall away.
- Excellent planning, communication and analytics. An ability to pivot when needed to attack the “best fit” projects for JT THORPE.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Full Size 4×4 Truck and gas card
- Significant Bonus Opportunity
- 401k plan
- Full medical / dental / vision package to fit your needs
- Paid Time Off
Job Type: Full-Time